Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program/SNAP – formerly known as Food Stamps – is a nutrition assistance program for families and individuals that meet certain income guidelines.

You can be working and still qualify for SNAP benefits. If you qualify for SNAP benefits, you can use these benefits to purchase food at most grocery stores. SNAP benefits can help you to purchase nutritious food for your family. SNAP eligibility depends on household size, assets, income and certain living expenses.

How do I apply for SNAP benefits?

  • Request an appointment online or call the Falmouth Service Center at 508-548-2794. An FSC volunteer will then work with you to fill out the online application and fax your documents to the Department of Transitional Assistance office in Hyannis. 
  • Call the Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) office at 508-862-6600 or visit their office at 181 North Street in Hyannis. Individuals may choose to go directly to the DTA if they already are going to Hyannis to apply for other benefits such as cash assistance or SSI, SSDI, and other similiar assistance programs.  
  • Apply online at If you choose this option, you will find instructions on how to mail or fax your necessary documents to complete your application. 

What documents will I need to apply for SNAP benefits?


  • Proof of Identity 
    Driver's license, passport, Social Security card or birth certificate
  • Social Security Number (SSN) 
    Required for all members in your household that are applying for food stamps
  • Proof of Massachusetts Residency 
    Driver’s license, utility bill or tax forms


  • Earned Income
    Pay stubs showing your earnings before taxes from the last four weeks or a letter from your employer
  • Other Income
    Proof of Social Security payments, unemployment, pension, Workers’ Compensation, and/or child support
  • Self-employment Income
    Most recent tax forms or business records for the last three months
  • Rental Income
    If you get paid by someone who rents a room or apartment from you, a copy of the lease agreements or statement from your tenant showing the amount of rent paid
  • Non-citizen Status
    Only if you are not a U.S. citizen (green card or immigration papers)
  • Assets
    Asset information may be required for certain elderly/disabled households

The more information you provide, the more SNAP benefits you are likely to receive.

  • Rent Housing Costs
    Submit your current lease, or rent receipt or a letter from your landlord

  • Homeowner Housing Costs
    Submit a mortgage statement, proof of property taxes, and home owners insurance
  • Utilities
    Heat/air conditioning, electric, gas, and/or telephone bills
  • Medical Expenses (only if you or someone in your household is over 60 years old and/or disabled and receiving a disability-based benefits)
    Payments for health insurance, co-payment receipts, transportation costs to doctor appointments or pharmacy, medication (over the counter and prescription)
  • Child Support Payments
    Proof of court-ordered payment
  • Child or Adult Care Expenses
    Program fees and transportation costs

Download Documents Needed to Apply for SNAP Benefits (213KB PDF)

Request an Appointment

Other Food Resources

Call Project Bread’s FoodSource Hotline at 1-800-645-8333 to connect with a variety of food resources in your community.

Project Bread Logo

More questions?

If you have more questions about SNAP, please call us at 508-548-2794 or email us.