Frequently Asked Questions

When is the Falmouth Service Center open?

  • Monday: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
  • Tuesday: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
  • Wednesday: 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm
  • Thursday: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
  • Friday: 10:00 am – 12:00 noon

How do I get food? 

You are eligible to receive food from the Food Pantry at the Falmouth Service Center if you live or work in Falmouth or live in Mashpee or at Joint Base Cape Cod. You can come in to register at any time when we are open. Please bring in a document with your current address on it. (lease or piece of mail dated within last 30 days)

How do I make an appointment for food stamps or fuel assistance?

Food Stamps is now called SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program). Learn more about SNAP or Request an Appointment to apply for assistance. Download the list of documents you will need to bring with you to the appointment.    

Fuel Assistance appointments start in mid-October each year. Learn more about Fuel Assistance.

I need financial assistance. How do I know if I qualify? 

The Falmouth Service Center is able to provide some limited financial assistance to Falmouth residents only that qualify. Learn more about FSC’s Financial Assistance Program. If you are NOT a Falmouth resident but are a resident of another Cape Cod town, call the Needy Fund at 508-778-5661 to see if they can assist you.

What can I donate to the Falmouth Service Center?

We Accept:

  • Non-perishable food items  
  • Women’s, men’s and children’s clothing in good condition and in season (except for men's suits)
  • Linens in good, clean condition, including sheets, towels, and comforters
  • New toys at any time and we will store them for our holiday gift distribution
  • Small household items such as dishes, glasses, silverware, frames, etc. 
  • Small appliances in good working order, but nothing bigger than a toaster oven
  • Wheelchairs & shower chairs ONLY (no other medical equipment)

You can drop off donations at the back door during regular business hours. Please drive your car around to the back of the building and ring the door bell where someone will meet you. Please do not leave goods when we are closed.  

We Cannot Accept:

  • Frozen or refrigerated food unless it has just been purchased that same day and you can provide a register receipt
  • Used toys -  you can bring used toys to the Swap Shop at the Falmouth dump. 
  • Men's suits
  • Furniture, regardless of condition - you can donate your furniture (new or used) to Salvation Army (1-800-728-7825), St. Vincent de Paul in Mashpee, and the Habitat for Humanity Restore shop
  • Large appliances - if you have an appliance under 7 years old contact Habitat for Humanity 
  • Baby furniture or any baby items - contact A Baby Center in Hyannis to see what they are taking for donations
  • Christmas decorations 
  • Any medical equipment (except for wheelchairs or shower chairs)

If you have small household items, like lamps or small end tables, check with Emerald House, our current thrift shop to see if the items are acceptable for donation.

Do you have medical equipment that I can use or borrow?

If you are a resident of Falmouth, you can borrow medical equipment from the Service Center for a brief period of time, depending on what equipment is available. We have to limit our items to Falmouth residents because of a limited supply of items such as wheelchairs, shower chairs, etc. Please call ahead to see if we have the item that you are looking for and someone will check on its availability. Please note that we can only hold it for you for the day that you call due to the demand for these items.

Can I donate medical equipment? 

We are currently accepting wheelchairs and shower chairs only. We have a large supply of medical equipment and have no room for any other medical equipment. You may bring these items to the Swap Shop at the Falmouth Waste Facility. 

Should I bring my clothes donation to the Falmouth Service Center or to the Emerald House?

Currently, you can bring clothes directly to the Service Center or to our Emerald House Thrift Shop. If you bring the clothes to FSC, we will sort them and most clothes will remain in our clothing boutique. Higher quality/saleable clothes are brought to the Emerald House to be sold. All profits benefit FSC and the Community Health Center of Cape Cod.

Alternatively, you can bring in-season clothes and small household items directly to the Emerald House. They take women’s clothing and shoes in excellent condition. They also take some men’s clothing but not suits. They do not take children’s clothing. They also take knick-knacks, jewelry and small household items. They do not take furniture. For information call Emerald House at 508-457-0770.

Can I volunteer at the Falmouth Service Center?

If you are interested in volunteering at FSC, click here to learn more about the many services provided by our volunteers and to find our volunteer application. 

How do I get a plot in the community garden?

We currently have an extensive Waiting List for the garden plots for the summer of 2018. Click here to learn more about the Community Garden and to find out when the next garden work day will be. This summer we are collaborating with Farming Falmouth on the management of our Community Garden. If you have questions about the garden program, you can email Josh Leveque at and note “FSC Community Garden” in the subject line. 

How do I make a donation in honor of someone's birthday, anniversary, or event?

This is a wonderful way to acknowledge someone’s special day with a gift to the Falmouth Service Center. Your gift allows us to purchase additional food at the Greater Boston Food Bank; for every $1 donated we can purchase $5 worth of food. 

We can accept donations by check or credit card at this time. Donate online or learn about other ways to donate to the Falmouth Service Center. 

If you wish to donate money in honor of someone, we will send an acknowledgement to the honoree. Be sure to note their name and address in the memo field online. If you wish to have something to go in a card to the individual please contact our office at 508-548-2794 and we will be happy to create a note for this purpose. 

I need a phone number or website address for another social service agency. Can you help me find it?

Providing referrals and phone numbers for other organizations is one of the most important things we do at the Falmouth Service Center. 

Visit the Resources and Referral pages where you will find many of the organizations that we work with every day. If you don’t find the resource you are looking for, please call 508-548-2794 and our Information Specialist will be happy to help answer your question.

I do not have health insurance. Can I apply for MassHealth at the Falmouth Service Center? I have had Commonwealth Care, can I reapply for new coverage? Can I get access to any other health services? 

Yes, you can apply for MassHealth and other MassHealth options at the Falmouth Service Center. Learn more about health insurance

The Community Health Center of Cape Cod provides affordable medical care to children, adults, and families on the Upper Cape. Currently, you can apply for MassHealth, Monday - Thursday in their Mashpee offices and they have someone available to help people fill out MassHealth applications. 

Do you have home food delivery?

Yes. The FSC Home Food Delivery Program is available for senior citizens and those who are ill or homebound. The program delivers food twice a month, on the second and fourth Thursdays, once for perishable foods and once for general groceries. If you believe you are in need of this program, please call 508-548-2794 or email us.

What is The Fresh Start Program? How do I learn more about this program and how I can sponsor a child?

Fresh Start is a program that provides Falmouth school children who are clients of the Falmouth Service Center with a complete set of new clothing and a backpack filled with school supplies to start the new school year. Learn more about The Fresh Start Program and how to sponsor a child for this program.